|Green Globe ( zero waste)
While staying at The Artists Retreat you will enjoy native birdsong, quietness and fresh country air. Kaikoura is a Green Globe certified community and first local authority in the world to achieve this!
- Coastal, bush and mountain walks
- Whale watching
- Swimming with the dolphins or seals
- Scenic plane and helicopter flights
- Skiing at Mt Lyford (approx 45min drive)
- Art trail (brochure available)
- Art & Craft galleries.
- Great pubs, restaurants and cafes.
- Golf, bowling, hunting, fishing, surfing
- Take a day trip to the famous Marlborough Wine Region
(Yealands Wines at Seddon, our favourite!)
- Or just relax!
Maori Tours - http://maoritours.co.nz
The best Maori cultural activity in NZ.
Morris takes you on a 3 hour tour around Kaikoura to some important sites for Maori history & culture. Learn about the plants & their uses, understand their values & customs. Morris's family have lived in these parts for hundreds of years & he is very knowledgeable & informative. < ?? >
Kaikoura is famous for it's Whales & they are usually just a couple of kilometres offshore.
There are 3 ways view them;
- Kaikoura Helicopters - www.worldofwhales.co.nz Whale watching & scenic flights.
- Wings over Whales - www.whales.co.nz A small plane which does 30 minute flights over the whales and mountains. < >Whale Watch - www.whalewatch.co.nz A three hour boat trip. Advance bookings are essential, there is no charge until you check in. Tours are between 6am and 3.30pm in the summer.>Dolphin Swimming - www.encounterkaikoura.co.nz
Whether as a spectator or swimmer this is a wonderful experience. Three hours in duration, trips leave at 5.30am, 8.30am and 12.30pm in the summer. Bookings are essential. The wetsuits and all gear is supplied. Credit card details are required to hold a booking, this can be canceled up to 4pm the day before with no charge.
Kaikoura Night Sky – www.kaikouranightsky.co.nz
Come & discover the magic of the Kaikoura Night Sky.
We are well known for our clear sky, making it an ideal place to look through an 8 inch Reflector Telescope at the stars, planets & beyond. Learn the science, practical knowledge, Maori knowledge & mythology.
Tours are 1 - 1.5 hrs and commence 1 hr after sunset.
Albatross Encounter - www.encounterkaikoura.co.nz - coastal boat trip specifically designed for bird watching.
Maori Leap Cave
A unique sea formed cave with stalagmites, stalactites, straws & limestone flow. Guided walking tours explain the geology and history of this interesting cave.
The Kaikoura peninsula is a magnificent walk with it stunning scenery, it's beautiful wildlife (seal colonies and bird life).
- Cliff top walk - 1 hr < >Shoreline walk - 2.5 h
- >Bush walks:
- Fyffe Palmer Walk - 1.5 hr
- Hinau Track - 45 mins
- Puhi Puhi valley - 20 mins < >
- Ohau waterfall - 10 mins>Mountain WalksMt Fyffe - 8 hrs return< >/>
- Kowhai /Hapuku circuit - 2 day hike
- >>Beach Walk: < >Haumuri Bluff (Oraro) - 4 hr walk>Surfing />> />/>/>
- Kaikoura is also world-renown for its consistently good waves, of which there is an abundance, varying from gentle slow breaking waves (for the beginner) to the faster breaking hollowed variety for the more experienced surfer.
- A couple of points easily qualify as world class standard with long winding waves & fast hollow tubes as good as you will find anywhere. Wetsuits & boards can be hired, lessons are also available.
- Quad Biking at Glenstrae Farm 4 wheeler adventures - www.4wheeladventures.co.nz
- This is an awesome trip where you ride through farm land, hill country, native bush and along the coastline, spectacular scenery and fun!!!No experience necessary, full tuition given.
- Indulge Body & Soul Spa - www.ibas.co.nz Treat yourself!!!
- Other activities:>>>>>/>/>/>/>/>
- Sea kayaking - www.seakayakkaikoura.co.nz
- Scuba diving and snorkelling www.divekaikoura.co.nz
- Seal Swimming - www.sealswimkaikoura.co.nz
- Lavender Farm www.lavenderfarm.co.nz